Trip #2: To The Homeschool Convention
You are thinking, "That sounds boring." or "That's sounds nice." and "What about this trip makes you quiver with nervousness?"
Just that I'll be sharing a car and hotel room with three other Moms of whom I barely know. For three days.
We homeschooling moms are kind of weird. And we're all weird in different ways. Put us together for three days and it could get a little beyond weird.
Here's the main thing. I know Laura and Mary shared a bed as sisters in the Little House stories. And I share a bed with my husband. But it is far out of my comfort zone to share my bed with... oh gosh... I could use so many descriptive words here... another weird homeschool mom, say.
Churches often have women's retreats, right? I never go. You know why? I don't want to share a bed with a stranger. I will risk my spiritual health as a woman and stay home.
But I'm going to this convention because I really want to and so I wrote a post to our homeschool group inviting others to go with me. Yes! I initiated this awkwardness.
"Why don't you just go by yourself?" Oh, that would be a treat. I would love that. Hmm... Wow.
Can't. I don't know anyone in the city where the convention is. No one to open up their home to me and offer their finest in hospitality. I don't even know someone who knows someone. So I must hotel it. And I could priceline a hotel for a decent price, but still, the thought of splitting the cost with three others is just too much to pass up.
Remember, we are in huge savings mode as we prepare for an adoption and a family trip to Korea.
There is a fabulous upside to sharing this event with three other home educators: We will get to share what we're learning from the conference with each other. You know, debrief and ask questions and provide suggestions and encouragement. Last time I went I tried to go over everything new and exciting with Paul, which I will do again (get ready). But to have back and forth dialogue with these in-the-trenches moms will be valuable too.
So that is Trip #2. Happening in April.
More chocolate. More yoga. Excuse me. Will return tomorrow.
Seriously, though, your idea of me and a weekend getaway all by myself... This should be required as part of the R and R portion of the conference. "Moms, you may come, but you must incorporate quiet alone time to recuperate and rejuvenate."
Can we make it a Bed & Breakfast while we're dreaming?
And let's move the convention here...



2 comments:
Ask the hotel if they have roll-a-way beds. Most do.
Stacey, your post made me laugh! You are funny. I am with you on the weirdness of sharing a bed with a stranger, but I've done it for the sake of saving money, too. In fact, I did it 4 times in 4 months (one weekend a month for 4 consecutive months for my online school program). And we were in a double bed. Oh, did I mention we were BOTH pregnant? Yup. I was 4, 5, 6, and 7 months pregnant and she was a month behind. Four of us in one double bed. Just had to share (commiserate?. =)
Post a Comment